What is Desoxyn and for what Desoxyn is used?
Desoxyn belongs to the amphetamine group of sympathomimetic amines. Desoxyn medication is used as a short-term aid to weight loss, and to help control certain behavioral problems in children. Desoxyn is used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
Desoxyn also may be used for a short time as part of an overall diet plan for weight reduction. Desoxyn is given only when other weight loss drugs and weight loss programs have been unsuccessful. Desoxyn should be used with caution if you have mild high blood pressure.
You should not take Desoxyn if you have glaucoma, advanced hardening of the arteries, heart disease, moderate to severe high blood pressure, thyroid problems, or sensitivity to this type of drug.
Desoxyn should not be used to treat children whose symptoms may be caused by stress or a psychiatric disorder. Desoxyn should not be used to combat fatigue or to replace rest.
How to Take Desoxyn
Take Desoxyn exactly as prescribed by health care provider. Swallow the capsules with a drink of water. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your prescriber’s advice.
What are the Side Effects of Desoxyn –
Like other medicines, Desoxyn can cause side effects. Some of the more common side effects of Desoxyn include
* Changes in sex drive
* constipation, diarrhea
* dizziness, dry mouth
* exaggerated feeling of well-being, feeling of unwellness or unhappiness
* headache, hives, impaired growth, impotence,
* increased blood pressure, overstimulation,
* rapid or irregular heartbeat
* restlessness, sleeplessness
* stomach or intestinal problems
* tremor, unpleasant taste
Side effects of Desoxyn Drug that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
.confusion or nervousness
.constipation or diarrhea
.difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
.drowsiness or dizziness
.skin rash, itching, increased sensitivity to sun or UV light
Desoxyn intraction with other drugs:
Tell your prescriber or health care professional: about all other medicines you are taking including non-prescription medicines; if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol; if you smoke; or if you use illegal drugs. These can affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.
Warnings and precautions before taking Desoxyn :
* Desoxyn capsule must not be used during pregnancy as it may cause harmful side effects to the unborn child. Seek medical advice from your doctor.
* Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications along with Desoxyn.
* Breast Feeding – Mothers who are taking Desoxyn and who wish to breast-feed should discuss this with their doctor.
* Patients should be warned that the effects of other drugs acting on the central nervous system, such as alcohol, barbiturates and other CNS depressants, may be potentiated by Desoxyn.
* Do not drink alcohol while taking Desoxyn. Alcohol may increase drowsiness caused by Desoxyn. It may also increase the risk of seizures.
* If you are taking the long-acting form of this medication, do not crush, chew or break the tablet; swallow the tablet whole.
* The safety and efficay of this medicine have not been studied in children and adolescents, hence it is not recommended for use in these age groups.
What if Overdose of Desoxyn ?
If you think you or anyone else taken overdose of Desoxyn, immediately telephone your doctor or contact your local or regional Poisons Information Centre Seek medical attention immediately. You may need urgent medical attention.
What if Missed Dose of Desoxyn?
If you miss a dose of Desoxyn medicine and you remember within an hour or so, take the dose immediately. If you do not remember until later, skip the dose you missed and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Storage Conditions for Desoxyn:
Desoxyn should be stored below 86°F (30°C) in a tight, light resistant container. Keep the medication away from the children. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.